English Foundations 3 is a comprehensive English class for advanced 8th graders covering composition, literature, grammar, and vocabulary. This class is designed for upper middle school students whom have already shown strong English abilities, particularly in writing and grammar. Ninth graders that need additional reinforcement before high school level English classes are also welcome. A live class will take place on Wednesdays at 2:00 pm (EST), and further instruction and assignments will be designated through the Canvas website. Class activities include students leading mini-lessons and Readers Theater plays.
- Write multi-paragraph essays for the four types of writing (descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive) using teacher and peer review to improve each composition.
- Demonstrate an understanding of English grammar including: punctuation, mechanics, spelling, sentence structure, and parts of speech.
- Review the basic elements of literature.
- Identify techniques of literature such as irony, symbolism, and figures of speech including allusion, idioms, synecdoche, and understatement.
- Be introduced to ancient writings including the Iliad and the Odyssey, Beowulf, and the legend of King Arthur and his knights.
- Identify the sounds and techniques used in poetry and study famous American and British poets.
- Learn new vocabulary words in context through the novels read together and a vocabulary workbook.
- Four multi-paragraph essays
- Creative short story
- Response paragraphs and an analytical theme based on short stories
- Literature projects for specific elements
- Several poems of various types
- Poetry presentation about a famous poet and poem
- Grammar and vocab exercises
- Essays graded according to a rubric of the effective traits of writing
- Tests on terms and content related to writing and literature
- Grammar and vocab quizzes
Evaluation and Feedback
Writing assignments receive much feedback during the grading process using a rubric with the effective traits of writing. Grammar and vocabulary exercises are usually graded automatically by Canvas. In literature, students are expected to answer comprehension questions and all projects will be graded based on effort.