See Reviews of Instructor Lili Serbicki
This is a live weekly class. A self-paced course is also available. See Middle School Essay Writing (Self-Paced) to register.
The basics covered include structure and organization, evaluation vs. summary, and developing specificity. We will practice writing in four basic academic essay modes: expository, descriptive, narrative, and argumentative. All student writing will receive instructor feedback, and students will have the opportunity to discuss writing in a group format in our web forum and live meetings. This class is designed to help students develop the writing confidence necessary for high school English classes.
Homework will be posted on Monday mornings and due Friday evening. Weekly student homework may include the following:
- Reading handouts and resources provided by instructor.
- Attend live class where students will be guided through every step of the essay genre/prompt at hand and discuss strong writing strategies.
- Watching the recording if needed.
- Reading a short nonfiction memoir, argumentative prompt, short story prompt, or other material.
- Writing a short essay or a second draft of an already drafted piece from this class. We will explore four essay formats: expository, descriptive, narrative, and argumentative.
- Students may expect to spend 5-6 hours a week on coursework.
Who should enroll?
Rising 7th-9th graders
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
Evaluation and Feedback
I will provide detailed critiques on all essay submissions. Students will have the opportunity to submit multiple drafts in order to receive the strongest grade possible. My critiques will take Structure (Organization), Content, and Clarity into account; I provide detailed rubrics for each essay assignment so students know what to expect.
An application is not necessary to join this course; you may register at your convenience. I will contact parents within 1-2 days of their registration being processed. Weekly check-in emails will be sent to both parents and students.
There are no reviews yet.