AP Statistics prepares students to demonstrate the knowledge and skills acquired in a college level introductory statistics course. Through use of technology and topical investigations, students will develop skills to collect, analyze, and draw conclusions from data. Goals for the course also include developing skills in selecting statistical methods, data analysis, finding probability, using simulation, and written statistical argumentation.
Ultimately, students will prepare to take the AP Statistics exam so the course objectives align with College Board AP Statistics standards:
- Selecting statistical methods: Select methods for collecting and/or analyzing data for statistical inference
- Data analysis: Describe patterns, trends, associations, and relationships in data
- Using probability and simulation: Explore random phenomena
- Statistical argumentation: Develop an explanation or justify a conclusion using evidence from data, definitions, or statistical inference.
*Source: College Board AP Statistics Course Overview
Who should enroll?
Highly motivated 10th–12th graders who have completed Algebra 2. The successful student will be the one who is able to reason quantitatively and has a solid foundation of mathematical understanding up through second-year algebra.
Students must successfully complete high school mathematics up through Algebra 2 before taking this course.
- Calculator – TI-83 or TI-84 (any version)
- Scanner or smart phone (for uploading handwritten work)
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
Evaluation and Feedback
As I expect timely submission of all assignments from students, I will return feedback on the assignments the same way, generally grading them in less than 5 days of the due date. Course grades will include evaluation from homework, quizzes, tests, and projects. Homework will be graded, however, I believe it should primarily be a vehicle to practice until mastery. With that in mind, homework will be revisable until the student’s desired score is achieved.
Any communication between the student and myself will be conducted through Canvas platform’s announcements and messages. Parents are welcome to contact me at any time with concerns or questions. If necessary, I can also be reached by email communication. I will do my best to answer any communication from students and parents within a few hours of receiving it.