SAT English Prep
Critical Reading, Writing, and Vocabulary
This seven-week SAT English Prep course is a comprehensive preparation for the NEW 2016 SAT format in the areas of Evidence-Based Reading, Writing, and the optional Essay.
- Prepare for the NEW SAT Essay, which is a rhetorical analysis essay. We will examine the identity and purpose of elements such as diction, syntax, detail, imagery, appeals to logic, emotion, and authority, figurative language, and more; explore basic essay structure and organization; and practice the difference between merely reporting content and truly analyzing how the author achieves his or her purpose. We will practice the ability to create a coherent organization, use varied sentence structures, and employ good word choice and tone.
- Complete a selection of essay responses to SAT practice prompts. I will provide detailed feedback on every student essay.
- Prepare for the reading section of the SAT. This will include practicing evidence-based passages; inferring meaning based on tone, diction, and context clues; and more!
- Prepare for the writing section of the SAT. This will include practicing strong grammar, diction, and punctuation skills in preparation for the SAT Writing questions which require a student to spot errors and choose the most concise, correct phrasing of a sentence or paragraph structure.
- Prepare for SAT-level vocabulary. In addition to providing vocabulary resources and virtual flashcard sets, I will provide a good set of strategies for improving vocabulary in general – for the SAT and beyond!
Technical requirements: Students must have Microsoft Word or equivalent word processing capabilities, high-speed internet, and a microphone and/or headset.
Time Commitment: Approximately 6-8 hours a week.