SAT English Test Prep Intensive
Course Description: This seven-week course is a comprehensive preparation for the NEW 2016 SAT format in the areas of Evidence-Based Reading, Writing, and the optional Essay.
- Prepare for the NEW SAT Essay, which is a rhetorical analysis essay. We will examine the identity and purpose of elements such as diction, syntax, detail, imagery, appeals to logic, emotion, and authority, figurative language, and more; explore basic essay structure and organization; and practice the difference between merely reporting content and truly analyzing how the author achieves his or her purpose. We will practice the ability to create a coherent organization, use varied sentence structures, and employ good word choice and tone.
- Complete a selection of essay responses to SAT practice prompts. I will provide detailed feedback on every student essay.
- Prepare for the reading section of the SAT. This will include practicing evidence-based passages; inferring meaning based on tone, diction, and context clues; and more!
- Prepare for the writing section of the SAT. This will include practicing strong grammar, diction, and punctuation skills in preparation for the SAT Writing questions which require a student to spot errors and choose the most concise, correct phrasing of a sentence or paragraph structure.
- Prepare for SAT-level vocabulary.
Who should enroll?: 9th to 11th grade.
Technical requirements: Students must have Microsoft Word or equivalent word processing capabilities and high-speed internet.
Course Structure: This class will include weekly quizzes and essays which may be completed at any point during the week. All assignments will have a single weekly due date. This class’ workflow moves from Tues-Mon (assignments are given Tuesday and due the following Monday night). I will provide a prerecorded audio lecture every week of the intensive. Detailed presentations, handouts, and supplements will also be made available; course presentations will address all major course concepts.
Evaluation and Feedback: I provide detailed critique comments on every essay. While there are no regular live group meetings for this course, I am always promptly available via email and am happy to schedule one-on-one live Zoom meetings with individual students to help address any questions.
Communication: I will contact parents after they have registered. During the class, I will provide weekly email check-ins with both parents and students.