Middle School Tools B is an English class for 7th and 8th graders (at least 12 years old) who are seeking an online class for the comprehensive study of writing, grammar, literature, and vocabulary. A live class will take place on Thursdays at 2:00 pm (EST), and further instruction and assignments will be designated through the Canvas website. An advantage of any outside English class is having someone other than “Mom” to review/grade the student’s compositions. Class interaction with the other students, including “readers theater,” will also enhance the class.
- Apply the steps of the writing process and effective traits of writing to their own compositions, as well as understanding the purpose and audience of each writing assignment
- Write “warm-up” paragraphs to increase confidence in writing
- Write multi-paragraph essays covering the four types of writing: descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive using teacher review to improve each composition.
- Write a “coming-of-age” short story (either autobiographical or imaginative)
- Prepare and present an informative or persuasive speech
- Demonstrate an understanding of English grammar including: punctuation, mechanics, spelling, sentence structure, and parts of speech
- Review the basic elements of literature (setting, character, plot, point of view, conflict, and theme), preparing a creative project with definitions and examples for each term
- Identify techniques of literature such as irony, symbolism, and figures of speech including allusion, idioms, synecdoche, and understatement
- Review different genres of writing and discuss their differences, as well as read short stories and novels in various genres
- Improve their reading comprehension through thought-provoking questions and discussion of the novels read together
- Be introduced to ancient writings including the Iliad and the Odyssey, Beowulf, and the legend of King Arthur and his knights
- Identify the sounds and techniques used in poetry, prepare a poetry recitation/presentation, and write several of his/her own poems
- Learn new vocabulary words in context in the novels read together
- Learn new vocabulary words through the Wordly Wise curriculum
Instructor’s Qualifications: Beverly holds a B.S. in Special Education, a M.S. in Elementary Education, and a Reading Certificate from Millersville University. She has taught in public/private schools for 6 years, has 10+ years of experience teaching middle school English at a weekly homeschool co-op in Pennsylvania, and 20 years of experience home schooling her own four children. Her passion is teaching middle school students that writing, literature, and even grammar can be fun!