Middle School Tools A is an English class for 6th and 7th graders (at least 11 years old) who are seeking an online class for the comprehensive study of writing, grammar, literature, and vocabulary. A live class will take place on Thursdays at 12:30 pm (EST), and further instruction and assignments will be designated through the Canvas website. An advantage of any outside English class is having someone other than “Mom” to review/grade the student’s compositions. Class interaction with the other students will also enhance the class.
- Review the steps of the writing process and identify the traits of effective writing, applying these skills to their own writing
- Write “warm-up” paragraphs to increase confidence in writing
- Write multi-paragraph descriptive, narrative, expository, and persuasive essays, with teacher review to improve each composition
- Understand the purpose and audience of each writing assignment
- Write a short story (either autobiographical or imaginative) in which the narrator faces a problem or challenge
- Prepare and present a short demonstration speech
- Demonstrate an understanding of English grammar including: punctuation, mechanics, spelling, sentence structure, and parts of speech
- Identify the basic elements of literature including setting, character, plot, point of view, and conflict, completing various projects for each
- Identify techniques of literature such as foreshadowing, flashback, and figures of speech including simile, metaphor, hyperbole, and personification
- Be introduced to various genres of writing and discuss their differences, as well as read short stories and novels in different genres
- Be introduced to legends and folk tales such as Tales from theArabian Nights and the legend of Robin Hood
- Be introduced to the sounds and techniques used in poetry, prepare a poetry recitation, and write several of his/her own poems
- Improve their reading comprehension through thought-provoking questions and discussion of the novels read together.
- Learn new vocabulary words in context in the novels read together
- Learn new vocabulary words through the Wordly Wise curriculum