English Foundations 1 is for 5th–7th graders who want an online class that includes literature, vocabulary, writing and grammar—all in one. The class will teach students how to approach literature. Students will learn the following skills:
• Employ close reading skills
• Develop vocabulary
• Identify and explain signposts in writing
• Identify elements of plot
• Use questions, predictions, and inferences to deepen knowledge of texts
• Synthesize, summarize and discuss texts
We will use literature to create writings in response to texts. Students will develop the following skills:
• Craft sentences and three part paragraphs
• Produce narrative, descriptive, informative, and persuasive writings
• Identify author’s craft and messages in poetry
• Develop grammar skills
• Create multimedia project for individual presentations
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Headset and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
- Microsoft Word and Power Point is extremely helpful. If using a different word processing program, the document should be saved or exported as a pdf in order to submit it on Canvas.
Evaluation and Feedback
Rubrics are available for assignment and clearly state the required criteria for writing assignments. Grammar and vocabulary exercises are usually graded automatically by Canvas. In literature, students are expected to answer comprehension questions that are graded based on effort.
Parents are welcome to contact me with questions at my email before registering, but it is not necessary before enrolling a student. Once I know a student has registered, the family will receive a welcome packet with additional information about the course. I will contact parents if there is a concern that a student is not keeping up with the work or frequently turning in late assignments.