The four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) lay a framework for all other strands of mathematics. Therefore, it is essential for students to approach these types of math problems with confidence. In this course, I will provide students with a toolkit of strategies they can use when they confront an addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division problem. In this seven-week minicourse, students will practice:
- addition with whole numbers
- subtracting across zeros
- four digit by 1 digit multiplication
- two-digit by two digit multiplication
- long division
- solving four operation word problems.
By the end of this course:
1. Student will be able to subtract across zeros.
2. Students will be able to multiply four digits by 1 digit problems.
3. Students will be able to multiply 2 digits by 2 digits problems.
4. Students will be able to divide four digits by 1 digit problems.
I will use a pre-and-post-assessment to measure students growth from the beginning of the course to the end. Each week I will have mini-checks (about 5 questions) to measure students understanding of key concept. I will also have independent activities as an alternative measure. I use math games and interactive task cards to keep students engaged. I will be able to provide weekly feedback on each mini-check for the students. I will also be able to provide additional resources for extra practice. I will be available to respond within 24 hours to e-mails during the work week.