Do you have students who would like to learn and apply a variety of evidenced-based note taking strategies that have been proven to advance learning? This course is an engaging introduction to note taking strategies that will stretch and strengthen the student’s attention, perception, and memory. I will present the essential knowledge of the strategy, model using the strategy, and provide regular practice opportunities with feedback.
The objective of this course is to expand a student’s toolbox with getting organized with academic planners and learning the following note taking strategies:
- Outline Note Taking
- Cornell Notes
- Mindmaps / Concept Maps
- Sketch notes
- Graphic Organizers
- Visual icons
- One live Zoom class per week video/audio on so we engage together
- A module containing weekly practice assignments
- Students will need to utilize a pdf software to download, read, edit, and upload pdf format
- Students will utilize the Canvas classroom to communicate with the teacher and fellow students.
- We may use external tools that need a valid email to use such as Canva (infographic software), and electronic flashcards such as Quizlet to enhance our strategies.
Who Should Enroll?
This class is for students in grades 9-12 who have completed 8th grade reading, handwriting, and typing. These students also should be:
- Interested in learning how to learn.
- Willing to adopt new habits for learning and a growth mindset.
- Open to practice and expanding their skills.
- Willing to discard fallacies in learning.
Technology Requirements and Required Materials
- A reliable PC or laptop, webcam, speaker, microphone
- Scanner/camera phone
- Ability to download files for viewing, editing, and printing.
- Uploaded files should be in .docx or pdf format.
- Lined and blank paper to take handwritten notes (blank and lined) in a spiral pad or 3 hole punched for a binder.
- Highlighters – (4 colors) yellow, pink, orange, green, or blue
- Colored pencils – at least 6 colors
- Pens – black, red, blue
- Sticky note pads in at least 4 colors (like Post-its, but they can be any brand)
- Index cards – single pack of 50
- Permissions to access youtube.com, https://www.ted.com/talks, and varied other online resources.
Evaluation and Feedback
- I will provide individualized feedback to each student via Canvas classroom
- Rubrics are available for some aspects of the course work
Communication and Participation
- This is a hybrid course with a highly interactive video/audio on component. Students are encouraged to attend the live class and engage in the assortment of strategies we practice together, as well as contribute to class discussions and sharing of ideas. You will receive the most benefit from participating in the activities in class and communicating any questions and comments in Canvas.
- Parent support is highly encouraged in this class with previewing of assignments
- Student and parent communication is vital for our success together
Please contact me with any course questions. [email protected] New registrants will receive a welcome email with instructions.