Does your student want to learn and apply a variety of evidenced based strategies that have been proven to advance learning? This course is an engaging introduction to learning science. I will provide the core knowledge of the strategy, model doing the strategy, and provide ample practice opportunities.
The objective of this course is to expand a student’s toolbox in the areas of
- spaced practice (also called spaced retrieval)
- retrieval practice
- concrete examples
- dual coding
While this may seem like cognitive psychology jargon at the start, each student will discard misunderstandings about learning that have been propagated for decades and learn to apply a growth mindset through learning strategies that will chart a course of lifelong learning!
Who should enroll?
- Students will be best prepared for this class by taking my Study Skills: Notetaking course first. However, it is not a perquisite. Solid note taking skills will serve a student well in this class.
- High school students wanting to prepare for the volume of information to learn in college
- Students who are interested in learning how to learn
- Students open to forming new habits, practice, expanding their skills, and stretching their minds to discard fallacies in learning
- Students should have completed 8th grade reading, handwriting, and typing.
- It is strongly recommended, but not required to take my Notetaking course before this course
- Each week will have a live class attendance via Zoom which is recorded
- Students should plan to spend about 4-6 hours per week using the learned strategies in their high school courses
- A module will contain weekly assignments that focuses on a learning strategy, putting it into practice, and submitting their practice and notes for feedback
- Notes will be a combination of handwritten (needed to be scanned into a pdf) incorporating different note taking modes and will vary in length
- Students will utilize the Canvas classroom to submit assignments in compatible formats requested for each assignment, communicate with the teacher and each other.
- We may use external tools such as an infographic software (Canva) and electronic flashcards such as Quizlet to enhance our strategies.
Course Objectives: Upon successful completion of Study Skills Learning Strategies 102, you will be able to . . .
- Recognize and apply the steps of active learning.
- Develop, recognize, and practice the six learning strategies: spacing, retrieval, elaboration, interleaving, concrete examples, and dual coding.
- Prepare an effective study plan to prepare for cumulative projects and exams.
Technology Requirements and Required Materials
- A reliable PC or laptop with High Speed Internet, Webcam, Microphone, Speaker
- Scanner/camera phone
- Ability to download files for viewing, editing, and printing.
- Ability to upload files pdf format.
- College Ruled notebook paper
- Highlighters – (4 colors) yellow, pink, orange, green, or blue
- Colored pencils – at least 4 colors
- Pens – black, red, blue
- Sticky note pads in at least 4 colors (like Post-its, but they can be any brand)
- Index cards – single pack of 50
- Free Canva account
- Free Quizlet account
- Permissions to access Youtube.com, https://www.ted.com/talks, and varied other online resources.
Evaluation and Feedback
- I will provide individualized feedback and grading to each student via Canvas classroom
- Rubrics are available for some aspects of the course work
Communication and Participation
- This is a hybrid course with a highly interactive video/audio on component. Students are encouraged to attend the live class (with webcams and microphones on) and engage in the assortment of strategies we practice together, as well as contribute to class discussions and sharing of ideas. You will receive the most benefit from participating in the activities in class and communicating any questions and comments in Canvas.
- Parent support is highly encouraged in this class with previewing of assignments
- Student and parent communication is vital for our success together
Please contact me with any course questions. [email protected]. New registrants will receive a welcome email with instructions.
There are no reviews yet.