Learn about the five senses in this online science class for elementary and middle school students.
Our senses are “sensational”! They help us collect information about the world around us, as well as about ourselves. In this 7 week mini-course, we will use lots of hands-on activities, experiments, video, audio and text lessons, fun facts, frequent learning checks, games and more to learn about the five senses.
We will learn about the structure of the eye, and how it works with the brain to help us see. In addition, we will become familiar with the internal and external structures of the ears and nose, and learn how they help us hear, stay balanced, and smell things. We’ll learn about the many structures throughout the body that help us feel the things we come into contact with. Last but not least, we will learn about taste buds, so be sure and come to class with an appetite.
During our live class, we review content from the previous week using review questions and games, and we go over anything for which students need additional support. Although it is always best if students attend the live classes, I will post the recording of the class so that students who can’t attend can watch later.
The rest of the week is a focus on new content. Students read the lesson, listen to audio, watch any videos, and do experiments and activities or watch videos of the experiments and activities. I use many audio and video recordings to help students learn the correct pronunciation of new terms as well as to reinforce content. Most lessons end with a learning check to see how well the student understood the content.
Students should try to do as many of the experiments/activities as possible, since science is best learned by doing. Most students report spending about 30 minutes per day on the lessons.
- Week 1 – Introduction to the nervous system and the senses
- Week 2 – Vision: Structure and function of the eyeball and structures around the eyeball
- Week 3 – Sense of Hearing: Structure and function of the inside and outside of the ear
- Week 4 – Sense of Smell: Structure and function of the inside and outside of the nose
- Week 5 – Sense of Taste: Structure and function of the sense organs associated with taste
- Week 6 – Sense of Touch: Structure and function of the sense organs associated with touch
- Week 7- Putting it All Together: Balance, animal senses, and how our senses work together
Who should enroll?
This course is for all students in grades 4–8 who are curious and like active, hands-on learning, and want to know more about the ways their bodies interact with the world.
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
Evaluation and Feedback
I typically grade every day or two, and it is my goal to respond to student questions within 24 hours.
I welcome any and all communication from students and parents. I want to partner with you in your student’s education, so if at any time you have questions or concerns, my virtual door is open.