This is the first semester of a planned six semester course of study for 5th-7th graders.
Grab your passport and a suitcase, and let’s travel! This semester course will incorporate both geography and culture. We will recognize important characteristics of each continent, read and create maps, identify countries, and learn key geographical terms. However, we aren’t just going to learn about the geography, we will try to experience the culture of many countries as well. Oh…did I forget to mention? You will be writing about your experience in a travel log, so bring a camera and notebook. Your readers are waiting.
The main objectives of this course are:
- Develop independent map-reading skills and atlas usage
- To become familiar with physical features of the world
- To increase understanding of geographical terms
- To gain exposure to other cultures (music, food, language, art, holidays)
- To practice research skills
- To instill a love of learning through a variety of activities including some hands-on activities
- To practice writing
Who should enroll?
Any middle schooler in grades 5-7 who wants to learn more about other countries and who likes a hands-on approach to learning is welcome to enroll.
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Microphone and Webcam (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities
- A camera
I believe communication is important for success in an online learning environment. Both students and parents are encouraged to notify me as soon as possible if there are any questions or concerns. Keeping an open line of communication is essential; I want to see everyone be successful. Students can email me with questions about any assignment, and if necessary, we can set up a time for additional help. Parents, please feel free to email me so I can best serve you and your student.