See Reviews of Instructor Lili Serbicki
This intensive is designed to help give dedicated students a solid introduction to the basic English elements they will encounter in either a full-year AP Language or AP Literature course. While these year-long courses are both distinct and comprehensive, this introductory intensive may be helpful for a student who wishes to jump-start their general essay or language skills.
To this end, we will read both nonfiction (AP Language focused) and fiction (AP Literature focused) works. We will explore the basic elements of the English language including diction and syntax, characterization, dialogue, conflict, narrative perspective, tone, figurative language, irony, argument, etc. Students will read and analyze multiple works in both fiction and nonfiction. I will provide numerous important concept and vocabulary handouts that are essential to the study of AP Literature and AP Language. Students will complete several short AP-level essays in this course.
We will examine the basics of analysis and argument, addressing:
- Fiction Analysis Essay, Nonfiction Rhetorical Analysis Essay, Argumentative Essay, and Poetry Essay structure and content.
- Choosing, formatting, and defending appropriate examples.
- Making connections between rhetorical devices and the author’s theme.
- Concrete analysis rather than summary: the clear method to take your essays from “mediocre” to “superb!”
- I provide detailed critiques in the following areas: structure and organization, diction and syntax, appropriateness of example, depth of analysis, and developing body paragraphs.
While this is not a full-length AP Prep course, it is an excellent introduction to many of the most important aspects of language and composition. This course is ideal for the student who would like a review of basic English elements, support for an upcoming course, or is unsure whether or not a year-long course is for them.
I will post homework on Monday morning; all weekly assignments are due Friday night. Students will receive and submit all homework materials through our class website, although I also send weekly emails to check in. Students may spend 5-6 hours a week on this class.
Who should enroll?
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
Evaluation and Feedback
I provide detailed critiques on all written essay assignments and on MCQ work as desired. Essay assignments are critiqued within 1 week or less. I critique essays based on elements that are relevant to AP-level coursework including structure, clarity, and content (analysis or argumentative). Weekly check-in emails will be sent to both parents and students.
An application is not necessary to join this course; you may register at your convenience. I will contact parents within 1-2 days of their registration being processed. Weekly check-in emails will be sent to both parents and students.
There are no reviews yet.