The four operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) lay a framework for all other strands of mathematics. Therefore, it is essential for students to approach these types of math problems with confidence.
In this seven-week mini-course, I will provide students with a toolkit of strategies they can use when they confront an addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division problem. In this course students will practice:
- addition with whole numbers
- subtracting across zeros
- four digits by one digit multiplication
- two-digits by two-digits multiplication
- long division
- solving four operation word problems
By the end of this course:
- Student will be able to subtract across zeros.
- Students will be able to multiply four digits by one-digit problems.
- Students will be able to multiply two digits by two digits problems.
- Students will be able to divide four digits by one-digit problems.
I will use a pre-and-post-assessment to measure student’s growth from the beginning of the course to the end. There will be weekly mini-checks (about 5 questions) to measure student’s understanding of key concepts. We will also have independent activities as an alternative measure, and use math games and interactive task cards to keep students engaged.
Who should enroll?
4th-6th grade students
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
Evaluation and Feedback
I provide weekly student feedback on each mini-check, and provide additional resources for extra practice.
If any student’s or parent’s questions arise, I am available to respond to e-mails within 24 hours during the work week.