Are you planning to take AP Precalculus or AP Statistics and want to brush up on your Algebra 2 skills? In this seven-week course, Algebra 2 Review will review the major topics and strengthen the skills from Algebra 2, including functions, modeling and transformations, sequences and series, systems of equations, polynomials, exponentials, logarithms, rational exponents and roots, matrices, and basic Trigonometry.
Students will build confidence by in-class practice and refresh their comprehension of topics by watching video tutorials. Each week, pre-recorded videos are provided, followed by weekly live problem-solving sessions. No textbook is required for this course. The teacher will provide all worksheets, activities, and solutions.
Topics covered include the following:
- Geometric Transformations and Matrices
- Matrices and Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- The Unit Circle and Radians
- Quadratics, Powers, and Roots
- Quadratic Functions and Complex Numbers
- Solving and Analyzing Polynomial Functions
- Inverse and Composite Functions
- Exponentials and Logarithms
- Arithmetic and Geometric Sequences
- Summation Notation and the Binomial Theorem
Students will build confidence by in-class practice and refresh their comprehension of topics by watching video tutorials, practicing problem solving with an app that gives immediate feedback and allows for multiple attempts, and maintaining comprehensive notes. Instruction will be provided in pre-recorded videos and weekly live problem-solving sessions. Grades will be based on teacher-graded, scanned homework worksheets, automatically graded assignments, note-taking and tests. Two tests will be assigned, each covering half of the course. Students will complete these evaluations in pencil, then scan, and upload for grading. No text is required for this course; all worksheets, activities, and solutions will be provided by the teacher. A scientific calculator is required.
Who should enroll?
The well-prepared applicant is in grades 10-12, is familiar with and has completed an Algebra 2 course, has the maturity to diligently complete assigned homework, and will seek additional help when needed. Learning how to learn mathematics is stressed in this course, so students who are motivated to improve should apply.
Prerequisite: Completion or near-completion of Algebra 2. This is a review course.
- High speed, broadband Internet
- Sound card and microphone (for live sessions)
- Streaming video capabilities to watch recorded lectures
- An electronic tablet is recommended for writing on the whiteboard in class
- A scanner or smartphone for students to scan and upload their completed work
Evaluation and Feedback
Students will be graded on notes, homework quizzes, and tests. Submitted student work will be graded and returned within one week of the due dates. Grades are perpetually available throughout the course. Outside of class times, student may contact the teacher with any questions or concerns using the Canvas messages.
Students and parents may contact me through Canvas messages on the course website. Parents are encouraged to oversee the work of their student for timeliness and completeness.